Summary of the Meeting of the PS Management Board
held on 17.12.2001
Present : B.W. Allardyce,
S. Baird, J. Boillot, D. Boimond (Staff Association), M. Chanel, G. Daems, J.P.
Delahaye (Chairman), B. Frammery, R. Garoby, G. Geschonke, J. Gruber, M. Lindroos,
S. Maury, K. Metzmacher, S.L. Neboux (Secretary), J.P. Potier, J.P. Riunaud,
Excused : H. Haseroth
* * * * *
1. Follow-up of previous meeting and matters
- Résumé of Council Meeting : a meeting will be held
on Wednesday, 19.12.2001 for category 2 staff in PS (limited due to lack
of space in the PS auditorium) to discuss the essential points concerning
- PS Party : it was proposed to have the annual party end January/beginning
February 2002, but this may be postponed until end February as it is not
possible to find a suitable place to hold it earlier.
- LIS : S. Maury requested clarification on the plans for LIS.
J.P. Delahaye confirmed that management has no doubts that LEIR is the
only possible solution both technically and schedule wise for delivering
lead ions to LHC by 2007. However, the Russian laser amplifier will be
delivered to CERN and commissioning tests carried out. In parallel, H.
Haseroth and S. Maury should see if any other laboratories would be interested
in continuing development work on LIS, at no cost to PS, as a possible
future source of ions.
- Shutdown work :
- Dismantling chilled water piping: work stopped Thursday and
Friday following a problem between ST and the firm concerned regarding
documents to be supplied. After discussions during the weekend, work
restarted this morning.
- PS main magnet unit 1: the magnet is being removed, using
the renovated locomotive which was used to put the magnets in place
more than 40 years ago.
- Hall 151 : following the request made by R. Brown to clean
out this hall in order to make room for the magnet, G. Daems said
that everything was now impeccable and thanked the people concerned.
- Evacuation alarms : G. Daems presented a proposal to modernise
the PS evacuation alarm system, with first priorities being the PS ring,
the PSB and buildings 6, 8, 9, 10 and 354. The cost to be paid by ST and
PS. J.P. Delahaye said that no money is available in the division for
such work and that such renovation should be done by ST or the sector.
He will send a message to the ST Division Leader and Director of the Accelerator
- PS Info : almost all articles have been submitted and an electronic
version will be published before the Christmas holidays.
2. Administrative Circular 26 concerning career structures and the periodic
- J. Boillot presented the new periodic interview form. During the Director-General's
arbitration between Division Leaders and the Staff Association, not all
the recommendations made by Division Leaders have been accepted. The Director-General
has, however, agreed to rediscuss the subject in one year's time. A one
half-day course for supervisors, given by members of HR Division, will
take place in the PS auditorium in January. Supervisors can then start
doing the periodic interviews of their staff. All interviews should be
completed by end March 2002.
3. PS car pool
- B. Allardyce confirmed that, as indicated in his memo of 11.12.2001,
CERN management has decided to make a 17% cut in hired cars by end 2002,
which means the loss of 3 cars for PS. Contracts coming to an end will
not be renewed - two PS cars are in that situation now and another one
during the course of 2002. Various suggestions were made on how to allocate
the cars. B. Allardyce will look at the different possibilities and make
a new proposal for attribution of cars during the shutdown period.
4. Report from the Finance Committee and Council Meetings
5. Discussion on the AC restructuration
- Due to lack of time, the only subject discussed briefly was the proposal
to have a single control room for SL and PS, to be located in one of the
two existing control rooms or in a completely new control room. A study
is now starting to discuss space, layout and cost estimates. At first
sight, the surface potentially available for an enlarged PS-MCR appears
to be sufficient.
- No summary of the last point in the agenda, except that the meeting
finished even later than usual, but was enjoyed very much by all present!
Many thanks from the PSMB to the organisers.
| PS Division | PSMB
Meetings | Other PS Meetings |
17 December, 2001