Summary of the Meeting of the PS Management Board
held on 18.02.2002
Present : B.W. Allardyce,
S. Baird, D. Boimond (Staff Association), G. Daems, J.P. Delahaye (Chairman),
B. Frammery, R. Garoby, G. Geschonke, J. Gruber, H. Haseroth, C.E. Hill, M.
Lindroos, S. Maury, K. Metzmacher, S.L. Neboux (Secretary), J.P. Potier, J.P.
Riunaud, K. Schindl
Invited : H. Menzel/TIS
Excused : J. Boillot, M. Chanel
* * * * *
1. Safety incident ISOLDE
H. Menzel, Group Leader of TIS-RP
gave a short explanation concerning an incident that occurred last Wednesday
at ISOLDE. Every year during the shutdown maintenance work is carried out
on the vacuum pumps. As it is normal that the pump oil is contaminated,
this work is carried out under TIS supervision with great care and protective
clothing is used. However, some work was being finished off last week, in
the absence of the TIS technician. At the end of the work there was a slight
contamination detected on the right hand of the technician carrying out
the work. The standard procedure to decontaminate was immediately taken
and a measurement after that revealed only an insignificant amount of remaining
The following day, whole body counter measurements were made at the Hôpital
Cantonal in order to check for potential incorporation of radionuclides.
No measurable incorporation was detected. However, using a special thyroid
detector, an incorporation of less than 200 Bq 125 I was measured. The corresponding
radiation dose is very low and thus no further actions are required. It
was stressed that no work should be carried out on the ISOLDE vacuum system
without TIS-RP supervision. During next year's maintenance period measurements
of the concentration of 125 I in air will be made. Based on the result of
these measurements, further protective measures may have to be taken.
TIS-RP appreciates the efforts made as regards safety since PS is in charge
of ISOLDE and M. Lindroos also said that ISOLDE receives an excellent support
from TIS. The TIS report on the incident will be made available to PS this
2. Follow-up of previous meeting and
- Administrative Meeting : J.P. Delahaye confirmed that the PS
Administrative Meeting to discuss Senior Staff promotions will take place
on Wednesday, 06.03.2002 in preparation for the Sector Meeting on 12.03.2002.
- MAPS quota : the quotas have not yet been given as they still
have to be approved by the CCP. All quotas will be sent to Group Leaders
as soon as they have been confirmed.
- TCR-MCR collaboration : S. Baird gave more explanations about
the project to improve collaboration and communication between the MCR
and TCR following major breakdowns (GTPM
- Gestion Technique Panne Majeure). This project was approved by the
PSMB at the meeting of 5.11.2001.
A collaboration already took place between ST and SL in previous years
and it was proposed to apply the same methods to PS so that the TCR has
a better understanding of our needs and priorities for water, electricity,
etc. when starting up the machines. The task is far more complicated for
the PS complex and it was agreed that PS/OP will supply ST with a list
of our priorities and will then contact the different groups if more precise
details are required.
- GSM : Group Leaders who have not yet done so, should send the
list of people in their groups for whom a wider access than the CUG is
necessary, to J. Boillot/S. Neboux before the end of the week. All other
GSMs will be automatically limited as from 1.3.2002 and it will no longer
be possible to change from SWISS GSM to another operator such as Itineris,
- Annual Report 2002 : this year's annual report has now been completed.
J.P. Delahaye thanked everyone concerned for their contributions and in
particular, B. Allardyce, who edited the whole report. It will be issued
as a divisional report next week.
- 2003 Schedule : J. P. Riunaud has been contacted by M. Hauschild,
SPS/PS Co-ordinator, to find out whether it would be technically possible
to advance the indium run to the 2003 start-up instead of the end of the
year; following the proposal to stop SPS in 2005 ATLAS would need a proton
run towards end 2003 to test detector components. Group Leaders should
inform J.P. Riunaud of any technical impossibilities to start up with
ions instead of protons. M. Hauschild will then have to discuss the matter
further with the physicists. Normally it is easier to start up with protons
and it was felt preferable to start with protons and then switch to ions
and carry out the indium run before the summer, also because the critical
vacuum pressure in PS and PSB improve markedly during running time.
- Intercom and Public Address : IT Division is at present responsible
for the Public Address and Intercom installations in the PS Complex. The
division has been informed that, owing to lack of resources, no new equipment
or modifications to existing equipment will be carried out after the end
of the shutdown (31.03.2002) and the IT service will terminate completely
on 31.03.2003. No other solution was proposed and the decision did not
pass through the normal CERN Management channel. A letter of protest will
be addressed to IT. Action : B. Allardyce with input from S. Baird, B.
3. Follow-up of the PS
complex shutdown work
- CTF3 timing : B. Frammery reported that the CTF3 timing has
been completely changed. However, now remains the problem of incorporating
this change into the software. G. Geschonke confirmed that this will be
carried out by F. Tecker with help from B. Dupuy.
- LHC ions : one of the measures envisaged for making economies
is to start LHC with reduced ion luminosity and to increase gradually
during the following years. It was decided that S. Maury will prepare
a short note on what is realistically possible and the consequences in
collaboration with experts from SL and LHC. At the same time J.P. Delahaye
urged Project Leaders to complete the LEIR/PIL report as design studies
must start in order to be ready to place orders as soon as the budget
4. Report from the LHCTB
K. Schindl introduced his presentation by showing the 2002
LHC Project Organization, followed by a summary
of the LHCTB meeting held on 05.02.2002.
This point was postponed until next week due to lack of sufficient time.
6. Discussion on the Restructuring of the Accelerator Sector
The discussion continued on the restructuring of the Accelerator Sector.
A special meeting will take place tomorrow where all Working Groups are
invited to present their recommendations to the Task
Force 5. The final reports of the various Task Forces will be presented
to the Directorate and Divisions Leaders on Friday 22.02.2002.
The Task Force is working on various possible scenarios for the organization
of the new structure and J.P. Delahaye invited members of the PSMB to give
him their input. It is expected that a decision on the structure will be
taken in June 2002 and be effective at the beginning of 2003, in order to
give more time for reflection and preparation. J.P. Delahaye intends to
inform PS staff on the outcome of the March 2002 Council Meeting and in
particular on the Accelerator Sector restructuring.
| PS Division | PSMB
Meetings | Other PS Meetings |
19 February, 2002