Summary of the Meeting of the PS Management Board
held on 17.06.2002
Present : B.W. Allardyce,
S. Baird, J. Boillot, G. Daems, J.P. Delahaye (Chairman), B. Frammery, R. Garoby,
G. Geschonke, J. Gruber, H. Haseroth, M. Lindroos, K.D. Metzmacher, S.L. Neboux
(Secretary), J.P. Potier, J.P. Riunaud, K. Schindl
Excused : A. Blas (Staff Association),
M. Chanel, S. Maury
* * * * *
1. Follow-up of previous meeting and matters
- REX-ISOLDE : J.P. Delahaye was pleased to note that PS requirements
for operating REX-ISOLDE as a CERN facility had been largely accepted
by the Collaboration and that a proposal for integration in the next long-term
plan will be prepared. The post concerning controls is still under discussion.
- CERN Meetings : this is an important week for the future of CERN.
The SPC takes place
today, Finance Committee
on Wednesday, Committee of Council on Thursday and finally the Council
Meeting on Friday. The essential points concern the MTP (Medium-Term Plan)
and the ERC (External Review Committee) report. The MTP, which covers
the first four years of the LTP (Long-Term Plan) and in particular the
budget for the coming year, has always been decided in June. R. Garoby
regretted that the document is not made available to divisions beforehand
and in particular that there is little consultation with the divisions
when elaborating the medium and long term plans. Once approved by Council,
the MTP will be distributed and then decisions will be made concerning
the future work programme and resources available per programme.
- Mailboxes : the distribution of mail per building and corridor
will start shortly - the boxes are in the process of being installed in
all buildings. M.N. Alliod kindly agreed to co-ordinate the best positioning
of these boxes for the whole division. H. Haseroth questioned the economy
made by such a system. It is, however, a decision of the CERN Management
Board (a few division leaders were against it) to change the method of
- Earned Value Management System : (see PSMB
8.4.2002) : B. Frammery has received a request from S. Myers to provide
an experienced Java programmer to 8 months to the EDH team of AS Division
to implement the Earned Value Management System at CERN. This means that
some other activity in the sector will have to be stopped or delayed.
- Future programme of CERN proton accelerators : R. Garoby said
that there is a great necessity for reflection on the future of proton
accelerators at CERN and to prepare a report outlining the different aspects
and benefits to the various potential clients, coherent use of beams,
what can be conceivably achieved with the present resources and manpower
and the possible evolution, with different scenarios. This is of particular
importance when trying to obtain external funding (e.g. from the European
Commission). J.P. Delahaye proposed that a study should be started, based
on the MTP figures, once this has been approved.
- Lead Ion run 2002 : J.P. Riunaud reported that difficulties are
being encountered by NA60 and it is unlikely that they be will be ready
in time to carry out the lead ion run scheduled to start 12.9.2002. If
this is the case the SPS may be stopped already in September and two other
scenarios will be envisaged: i) both lead ion and indium runs to take
place in 2003, with a prolongation of the running time of the machines
or ii) postponement of the lead ion run to 2003 and indium to 2004.
- Central Operation Facility : S. Baird received a memo from ST
Division concerning the potential integration of the TCR in a central
operation facility with the accelerator control rooms. The memo, which
summarizes the mission and functioning of the TCR, with the advantages
and disadvantages of a central facility, has been distributed to members
of the PSMB. J.P. Delahaye said that it would be a big mistake to miss
this opportunity to make a common control centre. S. Baird showed the
plan of the wooden sphere at present being used at Expo.02
to house the "Palais
de l'Equilibre", which will be dismantled at the end of the Expo
in October and could possibly be obtained by CERN to create space open
to the public for temporary exhibitions. It will be put on top of the
new accelerator and computer control centre.
- LHC magnetic measurements : S. Baird will attend a meeting today
in LHC concerning people required for the magnetic measurements. He will
keep the PSMB informed on this subject.
- Operation : the machines have been working well (during the absence
- East Hall : still operating at 20 GeV/c whilst awaiting the
repair of the magnetic septum transformer. K. Metzmacher is in contact
with the firm involved and hopes that it will be ready to install in week
30 (22 July) as planned.
- Preparation of beams for high intensity : the PS will certainly
profit from the new bunch flattening method developed by C. Carli at the
PSB and putting this method into operation is highly desirable, in particular
for the nTOF beam. Benefits for the PS are, however, only expected if
all other machine settings are near optimum.
- nTOF areas : G. Daems spoke about the three nTOF areas. Areas
A and B are blocked when the PS is running, but entry to area C is authorized
without the PS having to be stopped. Tests and radiation measurements
have been carried out by TIS.
: the laser ion source is being installed and will be pulsed this week.
Great effort has been made (in collaboration with TIS) to protect the
linac from the electromagnetic waves generated by the pulsed high-voltage
supplies, but some perturbance may occur. K. Schindl has organized a visit
of LIS for the PSMB this afternoon.
- CTF3 Collaboration Meeting : took place last week 12-13 June.
G. Geschonke will present a summary of this meeting at next week's PSMB.
K. Schindl gave a presentation
covering subjects discussed at the LHC Technical Board last week. It included
reports from the LHC
Civil Engineering, TCC,
and LEMIC on the progress
being made in the building of LHC. At the end of the Technical Board K.
Schindl visited UA1,
now completed, which he highly recommends to visit if the opportunity
arises (controlled area). UA5
is also nearing completion.
4. Budget 2003
B. Allardyce attended a meeting with DPOs of the Accelerator Sector last
week and hoped to give confirmation of next year's budget. However, as the
distribution between the three divisions (current structure) was not as
expected, it was not finalized. It should be clarified this week and be
coherent with the PPA (Programme, Project and Activity) for material and
personnel. It will be presented at next week's PSMB.
J.P. Delahaye took this opportunity to thank B. Allardyce for the excellent
work that he has done for so many years as DPO for PS Division. Due to Brian's
retirement, this task will now be taken over by J. Boillot until the end
of year. An overlap period of 2-3 weeks has been foreseen to sort out any
| PS Division | PSMB
Meetings | Other PS Meetings |
18 June, 2002