Summary of the Meeting of the PS Management Board
held on 22.07.2002
Present : J. Boillot (Chairman),
R. Catherall, M. Chanel, G. Daems,B. Frammery, R. Garoby, G. Geschonke, J. Gruber,
H. Haseroth, D. Manglunki, E. Métral (Staff Association), S.L. Neboux
(Secretary), J.P. Potier, J.P. Riunaud,
Excused : S. Baird, JP Delahaye, M.
Lindroos, S. Maury, K.D. Metzmacher, K. Schindl
* * * * *
1. Follow-up of previous meeting and matters
- Budget : the budget situation has been reviewed by J. Boillot
and J.P. Delahaye and spending seems to be progressing normally, except
for the PS Consolidation. J. Gruber will check the situation regarding
the work units foreseen in 2002 and report to the next PSMB on 5.8.2002.
Action : J. Gruber
- Rules and actions regarding signature rights : J.P. Delahaye
has received a memo from the Director-General concerning signature rights
and a copy has been sent to Group Leaders. Division Leaders are asked
to review all signature rights in their division and to suppress ones
which are no longer justified. This review must be carried out every year.
A close check of signature rights and routing of documents is being carried
out and modified when necessary. In some cases, Project Leaders are not
notified about orders for their project - this will also be corrected.
J. Boillot gave a reminder concerning the rules:
- up to 10 kCHF : approval by the Group Leader;
- over 10 kCHF to 50 kCHF : approval by the Group Leader and
the Division Leader (who may delegate signature to the DPO);
- expenditure for "controlled" items whatever the amount
: approval by the Group Leader and the Division Leader (who may delegate
signature to the DPO);
- over 50 kCHF : approval by the Division Leader (no delegation
possible) and then by the CERN Programme Controller who will consult
the Director of Administration in case of doubt.
- MCR access : Y. Renaud has sent a message to Group Leaders asking
for lists of people in their groups who should have privileged access
to the MCR (access using their CERN card, outside normal working hours).
It was proposed that everyone in PS should have access. A decision will
be taken on the return of the OP Group Leader, S. Baird.
- TERA : a collaboration agreement
has been signed by the Director-General and U. Amaldi for the TERA Project
which also involves possible help from CERN services. For PS, this would
involve septa, kicker and beam diagnostics. C. Wyss, Director of Accelerators,
will hold a meeting to decide whether any resources could be made available
or not. In the meantime, it is not possible to satisfy any requests from
TERA for manpower support. J.P. Riunaud said that it is important that
the manpower and budget resources are clearly specified in such collaboration
- CAS : D.
Brandt has accepted to be the next leader of the CERN Accelerator School,
taking over from E. Wilson as from 1.1.2003. J.P. Riunaud was concerned
about who could take over D. Brandt's present activities on ions for physics,
since the leadership of CAS is a full-time activity.
- Space : Group Leaders with staff in buildings 6, 8, 9, 10 have
received a message from J. Boillot concerning the allocation of office
and laboratory space which becomes free due to departures or transfers.
All such allocations, as well as requests for additional space, must go
through the central service (M.N. Alliod) and be discussed globally with
all group leaders. The situation is less critical in other buildings,
but the procedure is the same.
- Future A&B/ADM group : J. Boillot informed the PSMB that
the precise structure of the ADM group as regards secretaries, has not
yet been finalized, since, due to the holiday period, he has not yet been
able to speak to all group leaders and secretaries in PS and SL. However,
the group scenario has been adopted and a secretary will be assigned to
each group, under the direct supervision of the group leader.
- Tunnel access, CERN driving license : authorization of the Division
Leader is normally required. J.P. Delahaye has delegated this responsibility
to the DSO, G. Daems. The EDH routing will be modified accordingly, but
is not yet operational.
of private vehicles for official duty : R. Garoby raised the subject
of the increase in the use of private cars between the two sites due to
the restructuring of the sector and said that the conditions regarding
insurance should be made clearly stated. G. Daems will give a short summary
at the next PSMB meeting on 5.8.2002 (see Admin.
Circular No. 20 (Rev.1) Action : G. Daems
- Exchange 2000 pilot
: B. Frammery informed the PSMB about a collaboration tool which is being
provided by IT Division for assessment. In particular, it provides calendar
functionalities for organizing meetings, as well as mail and calendar
delegated access, which was no longer available since the migration to
- Exchange of PS and SL operators : D. Manglunki reported that
the exchange of operators of PS and SPS machines will start soon. Benefits
will not be obvious immediately as operators will have to learn about
different machines, but it is hoped that it will be beneficial to both
the division and the operators in the long run.
2. Follow-up of schedule meeting and PS complex operation
- Schedule meeting :
- Operation : everything went well last week with about 97%
- Technical stop : J. Boillot remarked that the list of interventions
requested during the technical stop of 24.7.2002 appeared to be too
much for an 8-hour stop. D. Manglunki replied that the B train interventions
will not take place during the technical stop as beam is required.
The ring also has to be closed for the figure-of-eight loop, but J.
Gruber confirmed that this would only be useful if a few hours were
available, so it will not be possible during this stop. D. Manglunki
confirmed that CTF3 will not be working (maintenance on water circuits),
as already indicated on the 2002 schedule. The PSMB proposed that
OP Group make a planning
of interventions. Only essential work should be carried out during
this stop, and other work should wait until the end of the year.
- Safety - radiation alarms : G. Daems, DSO, spoke about the relatively
high radiation losses due to problems with the high-intensity LHC beam.
D. Manglunki said that they occurred most likely during periods when the
BLM surveillance was inactivated. It was agreed that the inactivation
status should be indicated on the Vistar screen.
3. Work breakdown structure
J. Boillot spoke about the work breakdown structure (WBS) and 2003 PPA
situation which Group and Project Leaders have been asked to provide by
25 July 2002. The aims are twofold, firstly to check the financial situation
in 2003 and make sure that the PPA situation corresponds to resources available
and follows the MTP (reduced R&D) - the result will be presented at
the PSMB in two weeks' time and secondly to prepare for the "Morges
III" meeting. The splitting of activities into work units (WU) is the
best way to evaluate resources in money as well as personnel and to make
sure that they fit together. He showed the breakdown from K. Metzmacher
for PO Group, where the present budget codes have been used as a basis for
the list of activities and suggested that other groups follow this example.
For each WU a short description should be given (a couple of sentences),
one person responsible, a budget code and if possible only one PPA.
JP Potier is worried that such a list of activities does not highlight
missing resources and R. Garoby said that examples are needed, in particular
for non-project activities. G. Geschonke said that the AIS tool should soon
be available and it would be better to wait for this informatics tool before
going into too much detail. Normally, a template had been promised by AS
for 15 July 2002, so J. Boillot will contact V. Hatton who is responsible
for the preparation of the Morges III meeting. In the meantime, Group and
Project Leaders should give a) the PPA 2003 situation for their present
group and b) a draft list of Work Units with name of person responsible
for each unit, the budget code, and if possible the resources required.
Action : Group and Project Leaders
4. Preparation of the A&B Staff Plan
A sub-group, composed of J. Boillot, E. Chiaveri and J.P. Delahaye, has
been set up to make the staff plan for the future A& B Division, which
has been requested for the "Morges III" meeting. Both PS and SL
presented staff plans previously, taking into account the natural decrease
in staff and evaluating future needs. The first version of the A&B personnel
evolution will be presented to the A&B Management Board next week 29.7.2002.
Each new group has been asked to provide a list of staff and known departures.
J.P. Potier brought up the problem of PPA code for people on early retirement.
At present, the only possibility is to put these people under the code "FGS"
(general services), which gives a misleading picture of manpower resources
in the division. Although requests have already been made to FI previously,
without success, to create a separate code for people on early retirement,
it was agreed that J. Boillot will bring up the subject at the next BPG
(Budget Planning Group).
| PS Division | PSMB
Meetings | Other PS Meetings |
24 July, 2002