PS/DR/Note 2002-145 (Min.)
Summary of the Meeting of the PS Management Board
held on 19.08.2002
Present : J. Boillot, N. Bangert (point 1), H. Braun, R. Brown (point 1), M. Chanel, G. Daems, J.P. Delahaye (Chairman), F. Di Maio, J. Gruber, J. Lettry, T. Kehrer (Secretary), J. Kuhnl-Kinel (point 1), D. Manglunki, S. Maury, E. Metral (Staff Association), F. Pedersen, J.P. Potier, J.P. Riunaud, A. Scaramelli (point 1), K. Schindl
Excused : S. Baird, B. Frammery, R. Garoby, H. Haseroth, K. Metzmacher,
M. Lindroos, S.L. Neboux
* * * * *
1. ST priorities concerning the next (and future) PS shutdown (A. Scaramelli)
A. Scaramelli (ST Division Leader) presented N. Bangert replacing J. Kuhnl-Kinel who will leave CERN end of November. J.P. Delahaye underlined the importance of the role of the linkperson between ST and PS division. He thanked J. Kuhnl-Kinel for the excellent work he accomplished, wished him all the best for his return to Poland and welcomed N. Bangert.
A. Scaramelli presented the
situation of the Consolidation work done since 1996 of ST/CV (Cooling
and Ventilation) equipment in the PS Complex. Part of the investment came
from the ST Consolidation Budget. He then presented the projects which are
still to be finalized or to be started. In order to cope with the actual budget
restrictions, J.P. Delahaye asked R. Brown (as PS spokesperson) to work out
with N. Bangert, J. Kuhnl-Kinel and W. van Cauter a work list with a realistic
schedule taking into account both the budget and the Division's priorities
(R. Brown should therefore be informed about the priorities of the groups).
Profit should be taken also from the PS Shutdown during 2005. It was underlined
that the PS Consolidation Project should be considered as part of the LHC
project and that it does not include any ST work. The draft of the priority
list and tentative schedule of the ST projects in the PS Complex will be presented
to the PSBM for approval as soon as possible.
2. Follow-up of previous meeting and matters arising
- Operation Schedule end 2002 : Vacuum tests with Linac III until 2 September and in the week from 21 - 28 October 2002.
- Request for p at 10 MeV : J.P. Riunaud will discuss this new physics
request (probably 2 days at the end of 2002 operation period) with C. Hill
and K. Schindl before the SPSC closed session (2 September 2002).
- TSC 2002 : the next Technical and Doctoral Students Committee will take place on 17 September 2002. The files are available in Tjitske's office and requests should be sent to Tjitske by Thursday, 5th September 2002 at the latest.
- PIL/LEIR : The PIL/LEIR Project has been approved ! but not the 2002 budget... (300 KCHF instead of 1.5 MCHF requested). M. Chanel showed the present status of the budget situation of the Project (250 KCHF already committed for this year). Priorities need to be reviewed (outside committed and contractual work). J.P. Delahaye suggests that the consequences of this insufficient budget allocation should be analyzed and summarized in a memo to be sent to C. Wyss (action : S. Maury).
- Databases: B. Frammery participated in meetings between the, AB, EST, TIS and IT divisions about the optimization of database manpower (S. Myers for AB and T. Pettersson for EST). The accelerator-related database activities, housed in the AB division, will be defined in work-packages to clarify AB/EST interactions.
- ISOLDE GPS: on 12/08 the robot failed to deposit correctly a used target during a target change. M. Lindroos had to make an intervention (8 sec = 75 mSV) to remove the target (375 mSv/h) to de-block the robot. The GPS run was authorized to start as planned. The reason for the malfunctioning of the robot will be further investigated but will have to wait until the shutdown.
- Olympiads A&B 2002 :In the context of the future A&B division
and to favour team spirit building up, A&B
Olympiads 2002 will be organized on Friday 13 september 2002, Swissair
Center, Sergy as from 13:30 hrs. Please make your subscription
before Friday 30 August 2002 !!
- PE.SMH57 power supply : After the repair of the water circuitry
there is still a problem with this septum power supply needed for East Hall
slow extraction. A 10' intervention took place on 19/8 to set up some observation
- PS Pole Face Windings (PFW) : There are 3 circuits for adjusting
the machine tunes and chromaticities, parameters which are crucial for the
PS performance. The current regulation systems exhibit two major problems
: a limitation in dI/dt and a spurious oscillation in the zero-current loop.
A test without beam is proposed for week 44 (after machine stop, tunnel
still closed) to check the performance of the feedback loops with the PS
magnets as load. Machine physicists are encouraged to follow these tests.
Moreover some extra time will be scheduled for testing the improved circuits
with beam during the 2003 start-up.
- PSLXMCR : The server for all the operation consoles, a commercial PC, has created problems several times during the week. It turned out to be a hardware problem, and it was replaced by another one. While this change took not more than 1 hour there were some software problems afterwards.
4. Preparation of the A&B Staff Plan
As discussed in the last meeting of the ABMB
and in preparation for a A&B Staff Plan covering the period 2003 to 2010
to be discussed with the DG on 01/10 and at Morges III on 28-29/10, Group
and Project Leaders of the future A&B Division have been requested to
provide the data concerning their group/project in line with the work program
as defined in the Medium Term Plan (CERN/SPC/811). The jobs to be done by
each group/project are to be defined as "work-packages". For each
of these packages the requirements on Staff and Industrial Support have to
be estimated for each of the years 2003-2010. The deadline to submit the data
is end August 2002. This will allow an analysis by the Staff Plan Subcommittee
in September at the Division and Sector levels with possible iterations with
the Group Leaders. Templates (discussed and agreed upon by the HR experts
in order to be coherent with the standard divisional reporting format still
under preparation (HRRB/41)) have been sent to the A&B Group and Project
Leaders. J.P. Delahaye presented guidelines to fill-out these templates.
| PS Division | PSMB Meetings | Other PS Meetings |
tk 19 August 2002