PS/DR/Note 2002-149 (Min.)
Summary of the Meeting of the PS Management Board
held on 02.09.2002
Present : S. Baird, J. Boillot, M. Chanel, B. Frammery, R.
Garoby, G. Geschonke, J. Gruber, C. Hill, T. Kehrer (Secretary), M. Lindroos,
S. Maury, K.D. Metzmacher, J.P. Potier, J.P. Riunaud, K. Schindl (Chairman)
Excused : G. Daems, J.P. Delahaye, H. Haseroth, S.L. Neboux, E. Métral
* * * * *
- No comments on the summary of the last meeting.
- Cool-down after Beam stop 28.10.2002 : S. Baird forwarded a request
from R. Brown to keep the tunnel closed for 1 more week , until 11.11.2002
instead of 4.11.2002. This was approved by the PSMB.
: following the request form the REX-ISOLDE collaboration for CERN to take
over the exploitation of this facility (see also minutes of a PS
Technical Meeting held on 30.05.2002), M. Lindroos announced that a Position
Document is under preparation. The document will be discussed at the ISOLDE
Collaboration Meeting on 24 September 2002 and presented by C. Detraz at the
Council in December.
- CTF3 : G. Geschonke announced that the collaboration between CERN
and Frascati could well be jeopardized due to other higher priorities of Frascati.
This bad news is fully unexpected especially since a Memo-of-Understanding
was prepared after the last Collaboration meeting (where the person responsible
for special projects in INFN was present) and of which the Lab's final signature
appeared more or less as a formality. The consequences were discussed at the
last CLIC Steering Committee and C. Wyss will contact the Direction of Frascati
Lab, trying to rescue the collaboration from being discontinued. If this important
collaboration drops, the consequences will be very tough (the overall investment
of Frascati was 10 MCHF which now may be missing).
- Restructuring : J.P. Potier inquired about the future common control
room. S. Baird replied that no decision has been taken. So far an SL console
has been installed in the MCR and an exchange between PS and SL operators
exists. It was generally felt that the subject is essential for the group's
planification and should be relaunched at the ABMB.
- Ethernet Controls Network : The actual network was implemented in
1996. Due to recent maintenance (the SL team in charge has joined IT and got
dispersed) and hardware problems (the firm has stopped assuring maintenance),
the network needs to be rapidly changed and brought-up to IT technology standards.
The total (unforeseen !) cost of about 0.8 MCHF has to be co-financed by PS
and SL and the installation will take place in 2 phases, one during the 2002/2003
and the second during the 2003/2004 shutdown.
- Security Courses : G. Daems' proposal to organize refresher security
courses during the next shutdown period was accepted by the PSMB. All staff
should benefit from these courses.
- CERN Management Board : K. Schindl reported on the CERN Management
Board which took place on 29 August 2002 and was attended by J.P. Delahaye.
- Preparation of September Finance Committee : 3 new committees have been
set up in the framework of the implementation of the ERC recommendations
- Risk Management Committee (Convener : H. Wenninger) : identifies
risks concerning cost (budget and resources), and schedule of the
- Annual LHC cost and schedule review Committee (Chairman : J. Peoples/FNAL)
- Independent External Audit Committee (Chairman : I. Halliday/UK),
reviewing general CERN management issues (the committee includes the
DG and other CERN members).
- Linac II breakdown : the first part of the 10 hour beam interruption
during the weekend was due to an RF interlock on the RFQ, demonstrating the
necessity of these interlocks being renewed (as foreseen in the PS Consolidation
- East Hall Solenoid T9 : this is not a power supply failure but an
ST problem. Intervention via the TCR required to reset the 18 kV sub-station.
3. A&B Staff Plan (J. Boillot)
J. Boillot recalled the key-dates of the A&B Staff Plan schedule
(see also minutes of last ABMB
- 2-6 September 2002 : Iteration with A&B Group Leaders
- 9-13 September 2002 : Analysis at A&B Division level by A&B staff
plan subcommittee, preparation of the summary table.
- 16-20 September 2002 : 2nd iteration with A&B Group Leaders
- 20 September 2002 : Consolidation at Sector level (meeting with C. Wyss).
- 30 September 2002 : ABMB discussion for finalizing the A&B Staff Plan.
- 1 October 2002 : Meeting of A&B Management with the DG.
Much work has been done by the Group and Project Leaders and the files are
accessible to all PS and AB Group/Project leaders and deputies. Project Leaders
are requested to check whether all their activities (work-packages) are covered
by the different groups.
4. Machine Supervisors, status and plans (S. Baird)
S. Baird presented the actual status of Machine
Supervisors (PS, PSB, AD, LINAC, ISOLDE, SPS). Due to departures and other
activities, next year there will be too few PSB and ISOLDE supervisors. S. Baird
will discuss with the Group Leaders individually to explore various possibilities
(including help from SL). The importance of having supervisors both in OP and
in the other groups was underlined.
| PS Division | PSMB
Meetings | Other PS Meetings |
10 September, 2002