Summary of the Meeting of the PS Management Board
held on 21.01.2002
Present : S. Baird, J. Boillot,
D. Boimond (Staff Association), H. Braun, R. Cappi, M. Chanel, G. Daems, J.P.
Delahaye (Chairman), F. Di Maio, J. Gruber, H. Haseroth, E. Jensen, M. Lindroos,
S. Maury, K. Metzmacher, S.L. Neboux (Secretary), J.P. Potier, K. Schindl
Invited : V. Chohan
Excused :B. Frammery, R. Garoby,
G. Geschonke, J.P. Riunaud,
* * * * *
1. Follow-up of previous meeting and
- Industrial Services : J.P. Delahaye clarified the situation concerning
the two industrial support requests for January 2002, which have been
blocked in SPL. All requests, throughout CERN, for temporary missions
starting in 2002 have been refused following the strong pressure from
Member States and Management to reduce industrial support and to favour
insourcing instead of outsourcing, taking advantage of the long shutdown.
Any requests for replacement in case of departure may be submitted, but
will no longer be automatically accepted. Compared to many other divisions,
PS has always adopted a policy of limited industrial support for reasons
of efficiency and humane considerations. In addition, the two requests
in question had been delayed until January in order to reduce costs. The
division is badly affected by this linear cut (i.e. all divisions are
cut by the same percentage) and is now below the critical limit. K. Metzmacher
said that he feared the start-up of ISOLDE would be delayed because of
these cuts. J.P. Delahaye replied that there is no question of delaying
ISOLDE and the work programme will have to be reviewed according to priorities,
so that everything is ready for the setting-up of ISOLDE at the beginning
of April, in order to start with beam on 11.04.2002 as scheduled. F. Di
Maio announced that preventive maintenance will be reduced this year on
CAMAC crates by treating ventilation units only and not power-supplies.
VME crates power-supplies will be treated, as usual.
- LHC manpower plan : as mentioned last week a meeting was held
between the Division Leaders of the Accelerator and Technical Sectors
to discuss the 65 missing posts requested by LHC Division for the LHC
Project. It is very difficult to find even some of these posts in the
two sectors where already priority is given to LHC related activities
to the detriment of others. It is essential that priorities be set at
CERN Management level for LHC related posts throughout all the divisions
concerned and not just LHC Division. PS (as well as the other divisions
of the Accelerator and Technical Sectors) has tried to make a survey of
activities which could be postponed and posts which could be lent to LHC
during the construction period, taking into account the present reduction
in operation and R&D. There is also a possibility that LHC be delayed
for one year, which would alleviate the LHC personnel situation considerably
and to some extent also in the PS where the "PS ions for LHC"
programme would be delayed. However, many people will be leaving CERN
during the next few years and there will be no recruitment. J. Boillot
showed the present manpower
plan of the division with the reallocation of manpower liberated by
the reduced work programme of the "PS Ions for LHC" project
and to compensate for staff leaving on retirement and industrial support
not being replaced. Nevertheless, a few missing LHC posts, which could
possibly be filled by PS staff, have been identified and will be considered
by the Group Leaders concerned.
The second part of the contribution to LHC concerned the work packages
which, if distributed between the divisions, could result in an overall
saving of MCHF 30. The packages concerning cryogenics will be taken over
by ST and vacuum by EST. The OP Group Leaders of PS and SL will study
the feasibility, as well as the consequences, of LHC magnet measurements
being carried out round the clock by the operation teams during the long
shutdown periods from 2003 to 2005 for 100 manyears and a saving of MCHF
8. In this case operators would not be available for helping other groups.
- Safety : the Division Leader of TIS is concerned about the effect
of budget cuts on matters concerning safety. G. Daems will prepare a list
of all safety measures which cannot be carried out as foreseen. G. Daems
said it would be useful to set up a committee with the participation of
TIS in order to increase interactivity when making decisions on safety
priorities. Action : G. Daems
Selection Committee : five requests for extensions beyond two years
and five requests for new Fellows will be presented by PS.
: exceptionally, in order to limit the reduction in students to 15% instead
of 30% (foreseen in 2002), it may be possible to transfer part of the
personnel budget reserved for Member State Associates to the material
budget for students. Other guidelines should be set up for next year.
- Electronics Design Office : K. Metzmacher informed the PSMB that
the Analogue and Digital Electronics Users Groups have proposed to unify
the services which have been in the past assured by EST, IT and PS for
design and manufacture of printed circuit boards. This is now being reviewed
and will be input for the Task Force No. 2. J.P. Delahaye asked group
leaders to see if the centralisation of the electronic design offices
would create problems in their groups. He also insisted on the need for
a local antenna in the case of centralisation of the service.
- Annual Report : Group and Project Leaders were reminded to give
their contributions to B. Allardyce as soon as possible and by end of
January 2002 at the very latest.
- MAPS Training : all supervisors carrying out annual interviews
must attend a MAPS presentation. The PS seminar will take place on Wednesday,
23.01.2002 at 3 p.m. in the PS Auditorium. Supervisors unable to attend
may register for the seminar of another division by contacting M. Pincott/HR.
J.P. Delahaye will start interviewing Group Leaders immediately so that
interviews can start in the groups using the new
MAPS interview form.
2. Follow-up of the PS complex shutdown work
- Asbestos cleaning : G. Daems reported the completion of the asbestos
cleaning at the end of last week as scheduled.
- Booster lift : J.P. Potier mentioned the difficulties for the
transport of material due to the repair of the lift in the Booster building,
which was originally foreseen to last 2 to 4 weeks, but will apparently
not be available for use until March.
3. Interim Report on the Beam Instrumentation Review
J.P. Delahaye entrusted the mandate for the review
of the beam diagnostics systems in the PS accelerator complex to V.
Chohan in July 2001. This mandate covered the identification of the existing
systems, evaluation of the pertinence and performance, redundancies and
duplication, proposal for rationalisation as well as collaborations.
V. Chohan presented the interim
report on the study that he has carried out with the machine correspondents.
See also the presentation
made to the PPC in September 2001. During the presentation a table showing
all beam diagnostic equipment installed in the PS complex (1136 devices)
highlighted the impressive diversity of the systems.
J.P. Delahaye appreciates the work done so far and encourages V. Chohan
to continue this exercise. Some detailed proposals leading on from the interim
report will be produced in a draft report to be discussed before the middle
of the year by all concerned (machine or area representatives, PPC, ..)
and the PSMB for resources.
| PS Division | PSMB
Meetings | Other PS Meetings |
18 February, 2002