Summary of the Meeting of the PS Management Board
held on 04.03.2002
Present : B.W. Allardyce,
S. Baird, J. Boillot, M. Chanel, J.P. Delahaye (Chairman), B. Frammery, G. Geschonke,
J. Gruber, C.E. Hill, E. Jensen, M. Lindroos, S. Maury, K. Metzmacher, S.L.
Neboux (Secretary), U. Raich, J.P. Riunaud
Excused : D. Boimond (Staff Association),
G. Daems, R. Garoby, H. Haseroth, J.P. Potier, K. Schindl
* * * * *
1. Follow-up of previous meeting and
- MAPS : regarding a proposed refusal in one of the divisions to
use the tick box in the "Assessment" part of the MAPS form,
J.P. Delahaye contacted the division leader concerned and confirmed that
this was not an official proposal. As stated last week, J.P. Delahaye
encourages PS supervisors to try to use the assessment tick box as far
as possible and to give their comments after the exercise so that they
can be taken into account for next year.
Force 5: the final report of Task Force 5 was given to the Director-General
on Friday, 1st March and took into account some of the comments given
by the PS Division and Group Leaders. The division was not in agreement
with the statements regarding the possible savings and this was specified
in the report. The report will be discussed this week with the External
Review Committee, who will then prepare an intermediate report for the
week of 18th March when meetings of the SPSC, Finance Committee, Committee
of Council and a special Council meeting will take place.
- Administrative Meetings : this Wednesday 6.03.2002 for the Senior
Staff Review in preparation for next week's AC Board. Wednesday, 17.04.2002
for career paths A to E. Following a meeting of the CCP last Friday, the
promotion quotas have been modified. The exact figures will be known after
a meeting with the Executive Committee of the Staff Association on 15.03.2002.
J. Boillot will then send details of the new quotas for the division to
- Accelerator Board : the first AC Board with the new Director
of Accelerators was held last week and attended by K. Schindl and B.W.
Allardyce in the absence of J.P. Delahaye. The agenda concerned the participation
of the Accelerator Sector in EPAC
2002. The Director of Accelerators fixed the limit as 75% of the total
spent last year. It was then decided to pay a lump sum of CHF 2000 per
person including registration fees. This means that it will be possible
to send sixteen people from PS. The same limitation will apply to Linac
2002. Ten people from the division should be able to attend and a
lump sum will be paid, the amount still to be decided depending on the
cost of travel.
: still on the subject of conferences, J.P. Delahaye reminded Group Leaders
that for conferences such as EPAC and Linac where an Accelerator Sector
quota is involved, names of people they would like to propose should be
given to T. Kehrer as soon as possible so that a decision on participants
can be made at a PSMB. Other conferences are under the responsibility
of the Group Leader concerned, but the names of participants should be
sent to T. Kehrer as soon as decided, so that the files concerning participation
and budget can be kept up to date regularly. T. Kehrer should also be
informed about conferences of interest to PS which are not mentioned on
- "Open House" : J.P. Delahaye spoke about the informal
meetings for secretaries held once per week in the main secretariat to
facilitate communication regarding administrative matters, to exchange
ideas and discuss any problems encountered at work. J.P. Delahaye appreciates
the organization of these meetings and reminded Group Leaders that, although
informal, they are part of the work and secretaries should be encouraged
to attend. A summary of the meetings is distributed to secretaries and
group leaders and is found to be very useful.
Students 2002 : S. Neboux presented a summary
of the situation this year regarding summer students. Six requests were
received (plus two more after the final deadline), but the allocation
this year, owing to budget restrictions was only three for PS. Fortunately
not all other divisions used their entire quota, two more were allocated
to PS, making a total of five out of six accepted. Supervisors will be
informed of the date and time when the data base will be made available
for selection of a student. As selection is on a first come first served
basis, supervisors should be careful not to miss the "appointment"
or, in case of absence, to ask a colleague to make the selection. Experience
last year showed that after a few hours the choice was greatly reduced
and for one group it was not possible to find a suitable candidate.
- Professional Activities : S. Neboux also reminded the PSMB that
all professional activities outside the Organization (teaching courses
for example), in addition to activities of a commercial or political nature,
require the authorization of the Director-General (SR&R
Chapter 1, Section 3, Articles R I 3.01 to R I 3.04). Requests should
be made to the Director-General via the Division Leader, stating the expected
duration, and renewed when necessary.
- Use of CERN computing facilities : on 10th January a security
defect was reported on the Directory "PRIVATE" located on the
Srv1_home server. As a consequence, confidential management data was publicly
available. Such a defect had been already detected in September and reported
to IT Division. The problem had seemingly been solved, but reappeared
and persisted until 10th January. This defect seems to have been well
known by a number of PS staff members. In January, an enquiry was started
to try to understand the reason for the security weakness and to evaluate
how much confidential information had been accessed by the staff. After
taking advice from the IT Computer Security Officer and CERN lawyers,
a search for copied data was launched. This limited search revealed that
indeed, copies of this information existed or had existed on some PS desktop
According to Operational Circular No 5 (English,
disclosing or exploiting security weaknesses is a professional fault.
Thus any non-authorized person having duplicated files from the Srv1_home/Div_ps/PRIVATE
directory, on any media (local disk, CD-ROM, ZIP, disquette, tape) is
requested to erase the files or destroy the media. Any further misuse
of confidential files will entail immediate disciplinary actions. Group
leaders are also asked to inform their groups that future possible security
weaknesses should be reported as soon as possible. A discussion must also
take place with IT to determine the exact mandate of their services in
terms of computer security.
2. Follow-up of the PS
complex shutdown work
- The start-up will commence in one month's time with the Linac on 02.04.2002.
- Nothing to report concerning shutdown work
3. Short summaries on INTC
J.P. Riunaud presented a summary
of the nTOF part of the 11th INTC held on 25.02.2002 and spoke about the
technical report presented by P. Cennini who replaces E. Radermacher as
nTOF Technical Co-ordinator, and showed drawings of the additional shielding
being installed at the exit of the target area and a suggested layout for
the second measuring station. This was followed by the report on planned
activities at nTOF in 2002 by P. Pavlopoulos and statements from the Director-General,
who attended the INTC, regarding the full support from Member States for
ISOLDE, nTOF (and AD).
M. Lindroos presented
the ISOLDE part of the INTC, where he gave a technical report, the ISCC
and the audit of ISOLDE SSP being carried out by external auditors. T. Nilsson,
Physics Co-ordinator, presented the draft schedule for 2002 where 350 shifts
are planned, with a push-pull-mode operation of HRS and GPS.
4. Recent changes in group organigrams
Organigrams of each group were presented, with recent and forthcoming changes.
Minor changes only for AE,
and RF, but some reorganization
of sections for OP and PO.
M. Angoletta, chairperson of the DSP
working group, will be invited to the next PSMB to present the recommendations
of the working group.
| PS Division | PSMB
Meetings | Other PS Meetings |
7 March, 2002