J.P. Delahaye welcomed D. Manglunki (replacing S. Baird) who has been appointed
Deputy Group Leader of Operation as from the beginning of April. He also
thanked M. Lindroos for having carried out this function for the last three
years but who now needs to focalise more on ISOLDE in order to ensure an
optimum programme compatible with the limited resources in the coming years.
1. Follow-up of previous meeting and
- Beam alignments : as proposed last week a memo was sent to the
EST/SU Group concerning beam alignment activities. Various communications
have taken place and a meeting has been organized between PS and EST representatives.
J.P. Riunaud will keep the PSMB informed.
- Computer security : a meeting took place between PS and IT on
22.3.2002 to clarify the responsibilities of each division concerning
confidential data on the NICE network and certain measures will be taken.
S. Neboux will be responsible for access rights to confidential data on
the PS data disk. B. Frammery also warned the PSMB on the security risks
of installing unsupported software on PCs, in particular portables, as
items can be unwittingly installed which allow the machine to act as a
relay and give unauthorised access. IT will profit from the incident in
PS to implement a procedure and training for the other divisions as well.
- ISOLDE 2002 programme : following last week's discussion on
the ISOLDE programme further reflection is being made on ways to improve
the support for ISOLDE before addressing a memo to T. Nielsen.
- Restructuring of Accelerator Sector : J.P. Delahaye was informed
by e-mail last week that on 15.3.2002 the Directorate had decided to restructure
the Accelerator Sector according to the second scenario proposed by the
Task Force 5, i.e. LHC, PS and SL to be divided into two divisions and
part of their activities to be transferred to EST. J.P. Delahaye found
this decision rather premature, especially as no discussions had taken
place between the members of the Task Force and the Director of Accelerators,
nor other members of the Directorate. There was also question of regrouping
the majority of the staff on the Prévessin site, which is also
considered by the members of the Task Force as being extremely difficult
for technical and budget reasons. The restructuring must first be put
in place and a decision made on the situation of the new Control Room
before any proposals for relocating can be made. The decision of the Directorate
came as a surprise to the Task Force involved as it expected to have some
discussion with the CERN Management on the study and the three scenarios
proposed beforehand, which would normally have led to a decision in June
before the next Council Meeting. J.P. Delahaye wishes to inform all staff
members in the division and two meetings have been arranged for Wednesday,
27.3.2002 (14.30 in French and 16.00 in English) in the PS Auditorium
- Joint KEK-JAERI Project
: J.P. Delahaye congratulated R. Garoby on his appointment as a member
of the Accelerator Advisory Committee for the Joint KEK/JAERI Project
(former Japanese Hadron Collider - JHF) for a 50 GeV high intensity proton
accelerator system, where his experience will be useful to this project,
but where valuable experience will also be gained for the 2
GeV superconducting proton linac (SPL).
Student Committee : J. Boillot announced that the application
forms for the April Technical Student Committee are now available in S.
Neboux's office. Requests for technical or doctoral students should reach
J. Boillot by midday on Wednesday, 10 April.
- Open University courses : on behalf of J. Schinzel, DTO, J. Boillot
stated that the division will continue to give a financial support of
CHF 1000 and up to 5 days special leave per year for Open University courses.
However, each person wishing to follow such a course must first talk with
his supervisor and then obtain approval from his Group Leader. The Group
Leader must evaluate the relevance of such a course for the person's work
and the interest for CERN before giving his agreement. In addition, apart
from the special leave which may be authorized, study for these courses
should not encroach on normal working hours.
- AD "Baby-sitting" : D. Manglunki drew attention to
minimum requirements needed to "baby-sit" AD from the MCR planned
on a trial basis as from September 2002. To this end a tool to remotely
monitor the trajectory of the extracted beam must be made available in
the MCR. It is not possible to install pickups because of the high cost,
but at least remote observation of several wire chambers is necessary.
J.P. Potier will look into this. Action : J.P. Potier. Other requirements
from the OP team will come as their needs arise since the remote observation
of the wire chambers will probably not be sufficient
- J. Gruber will report on the Electronic Engineering Committee
at a future meeting and not this week as originally planned.
- SL/PS convergence : B. Frammery mentioned that it is not always
evident to make a decision when there are differences of approaches between
the two divisions, but that as far as controls is concerned the groups
are trying to reach common decisions and to resolve any differences immediately.
J.P. Delahaye remarked that this is the same for all the groups, but that
the new structure for January 2003 should be known by June 2002. The Division
Leaders will be nominated in June followed by the appointment of Group
Leaders. In the meantime, a good collaboration between the existing groups
2. Follow-up of the PS
complex shutdown work
- Start-up : the 2002 start-up is not far way - Linac 2.4.2002,
PSB 8.4.2002, ISOLDE 11.4.2002. D. Gueugnon will hold a briefing on 3.4.2002
at 14h00 in the MCR new conference room, followed by the traditional OP
start-up drink. Patrols of the ring have started today.
- Water cooling circuit : J.P. Riunaud announced bad news concerning
a problem on the PS ring water cooling circuits where the flow was six
times lower than foreseen due to a broken return valve. A reserve pump
is now being used and the flow is normal. However, it is feared that small
pieces of the broken valve may be in the circuit and cause damage. J.P.
Riunaud will contact ST/CV
Group to find out the possible risks and what measures can be taken.
- Magnet BHZ 385 : K. Metzmacher reported an incident which could
have caused a serious safety problem. Two weeks ago a magnet supplied
by SL Division, but controlled by PS/PO in TT 10, was removed and cables
left unprotected without the Power Group being informed.
An Administrative Meeting will take place on Wednesday 17.4.2002 to decide
on career advancements for categories A to E. As this is the first exercise
with the new career system a Personnel Co-ordinator from HR Division will
also be present. J. Boillot presented the quotas per group and a breakdown
between the different types of advancement and the number of people eligible.
Group Leaders should send two lists to J. Boillot by 9 April 2002. The first
one with a list of names covering approximately 85% of the group quota,
which should normally be accepted without further discussion, unless opposition
from another Group Leader. The second list, with no guarantee of acceptance,
should contain about 20% of the quota and in this case all proposals will
be discussed and decided upon at a divisional level in this meeting. J.
Boillot will distribute the divisional guidelines to the Group Leaders.
M. Chanel gave a summary
of the LCC meeting held on 13.3.2002 on the subject of ions for LHC. There
are now two experiments instead of just ALICE which will be active during
ion runs reducing the lead ion luminosity lifetime to less than 4 hours.
Several limitations, in particular excessive space charge at SPS injection,
have led to a modified LHC filling scheme for Pb ions: i) 100 ns bunch spacing
(instead of 125 nsec), ii) bunches are split before PS extraction so as
to ease space charge in the SPS and recombined at SPS high energy, iii)
modified bunch pattern in both LHC rings. The LHC beam position monitors
cannot resolve less than 2 x 107 ions per bunch, which is about
one third of the nominal beam intensity, so the injectors must present the
nominal lead intensity to the LHC in (probably) 2008. Another item raised
was the serious bottleneck in 2007 when the SPS has to deliver protons for
LHC commissioning while at the same time running in the SPS with lead ions.
It was also stressed that the common design report for lead ions, from the
source to the collision, is required. The minutes
of the meeting will be available soon.
J.P. Delahaye attended the Finance Committee (FC) and Council Meeting which
took place last week. Following presentation of CERN's proposal for the
budget and schedule for completion of LHC, the Finance Committee was not
in a position to recommend unblocking of the 5% of the laboratory's 2002
budget which had been held back pending resolution of LHC funding issues
and agreed to refer to the Committee of Council (CC). In order to preserve
the normal functioning of the laboratory in 2002 the CC recommended to Council
a compromise, namely to unblock 20 MCHF on the understanding that the unblocking
of the remaining 33 MCHF will be renegotiated by the Committees in June.
However, no clarification has yet been made concerning the use of the 20
MCHF, but this is normally meant to be unblocked for the non-LHC activities
of the laboratory.
An optimistic note was the announcement by the DG that Switzerland proposes
to advance contributions of 90 MCHF to CERN without interest (to be recuperated
in the years 2007 to 2009) and Switzerland also encouraged other members
states to follow their initiative. India will now become an Observer
Member of CERN and has increased its contribution to MCHF 28, mainly
in equipment and manpower.
H. Hoffmann presented CERN's achievements in Technology Transfer, followed
by the submission of adjudications for LHC which were all accepted. The
DG then presented his report on measures proposed to finance and organize
LHC. In the PSMB J.P. Delahaye showed the economy measures and reallocations
per activity proposed by the DG for the years 2002 to 2010 and commented
on the reactions of some of the Member States. Decisions will be taken in
June when certain figures have been clarified and the conclusions of the
External Review Committee have been given.
Dr. R. Aymar, Chairman of the External Review Committee made an oral presentation
of the preliminary findings of the committee where a fundamental change
is recommended in matters of CERN's management, ways of working, tools and
culture. Costs and not only technical perfection must be taken into account
for new projects and in particular for LHC sub-systems. Resources to complete
the project, both financial and manpower, must be monitored continuously.
In the case of LHC, no indications on the cost to completion were given
to Member States from 1996 until 2001, so last year's cost increase came
as a shock. In his final remarks Dr. Aymar mentioned that the best asset
of CERN was a competent and dedicated staff and that the LHC project is
built on solid technical foundations and is the world-wide priority in high
energy physics. Preliminary recommendations were given regarding the modification
of the organizational structure and programme. The report of the ERC will
be finalized for the June meetings.